Refurbished Battery Modules: Pairing Safety with Savings
Modular UPS systems are designed to be flexible, and are often more user-friendly when it comes to replacing UPS batteries. Rather than a cabinet full of large, heavy batteries, many models are designed using battery modules, with multiple batteries that are housed in an enclosure. The module can then be installed by simply sliding the enclosure into the UPS chassis. These are also often designed to be “hot-swappable”, allowing the user to replace battery modules without the need to power off the UPS system. The downside is that purchasing new UPS battery modules can be expensive. One cost effective way to replace batteries is to consider purchasing refurbished, certified UPS battery modules. In this blog, we will cover the advantages of utilizing refurbished UPS battery modules and the steps QPS goes through prior to shipment.
Whether you buy new or refurbished battery modules for your UPS, it is always good to be proactive when it comes to the management of your UPS system batteries. Most VRLA battery modules require a refresh every 3 to 5 years, sometimes even sooner, depending on the environment they are housed in. Over the life of a UPS system, the cost of battery replacements can add up, however, refurbished UPS battery modules can provide for a much more affordable solution – often costing about half the price of purchasing a new module. Besides the cost savings, purchasing refurbished UPS battery modules still allow for:
- Ease of Installation: Tested, warrantied modules come to you ready to install or can be installed by a technician. In many cases, battery modules are hot-swappable.
- Flexibility in Service. Having the option to self-install, or to have a certified technician install modules for you. (QPS highly recommends the latter option for your safety.)
- Safe disposal. Having a safe option through your provider for the proper disposal.
QPS has the materials and batteries on hand to refurbish and certify most battery modules for customers. We have listed out the most common types of modules HERE. During our certification process, we test each battery module to ensure functionality, inspect for any signs of premature wear or other concerns, and we pack with new, warrantied batteries. Our refurbished battery modules are then tested in a live UPS system and charged, ready for installation. No matter when you buy modules or individual batteries, they need to be up and running within 6 months of purchase to maintain battery integrity.
So how does QPS refurbish battery modules for our clients?
- First, we define the proper module required for your system.
- Next, our technicians’ prep, test and certify each battery module prior to being shipped/delivered. QPS always uses new batteries for packing modules.
- UPS battery modules are changed out at the customer site. This is usually done by a trained QPS technician, but some UPS battery modules can also be self-installed by the client.
- Finally, old modules are returned to QPS for proper disposal and recycling, to ensure battery waste does not cause environmental or safety issues.
You may be on the fence about purchasing refurbished battery modules if you haven’t done so in the past. QPS is here to help you make the best decisions for your environment. The best choice is always to have a certified technician handle any battery installs and disposal. We take our certified, refurbished battery modules seriously, and would love to share more information with you. Contact QPS today to find out more about UPS battery modules for your UPS system.